Oct 16, 2017 - BIDDING ENDS 6 PM! Eastern
Estate of Mary R. Haverland
1415 15th Street
Bedford, IN 47421
Online Only Auction
Highlights: includes the historic 1897 built C.S. Norton Mansion, also known as the 'Limestone Castle' to locals, located in downtown Bedford Indiana. It is a 2.5 story 'Royal Blue' Limestone home, has 8000+ SF, & 5BR/3.5BA. A rare opportunity to purchase a historic home!
Inspection: Wed Oct 4 2-6 PM
Inspection #2: Mon Oct 16 2-4 PM
Share this Auction
Beckort Auctions, LLC
115 E. Chestnut St.
Corydon, IN 47112
REAL ESTATE AUCTION
HISTORIC BEDFORD C.S. NORTON MANSION
1897 3-STORY “LIMESTONE CASTLE”
ONLINE ONLY-ENDS OCT 16
ADDRESS: 1415 15th Street, Bedford, IN
In the heart of downtown Bedford directly across from Bedford JH School!
CLICK ON "View Documents" ABOVE FOR AERIAL, PROP. ASSESS. TAX INFO, ETC.
REAL ESTATE: A rare opportunity to purchase a historical 1897 Bedford landmark home known as the C.S. Norton Mansion. The “Limestone Castle” was built by C.S. Norton, a pioneer of the Limestone Industry, for use as his personal residence. This three-story Queen Anne style features stone/limestone walls, dual front entrances, cylindrical tower with conical roof, elaborate portico shelters, & classic scrolling on the porch/columns. Interior features: 8000+ SF above ground (first floor-3600+ SF finished; second floor-2400+ SF finished; third floor-2250+ SF unfinished), partial 1450+ SF basement, 5BR/3.5BA, 11’ ceilings throughout, tile entryway, massive decorative staircase with turned balusters, leaded glass built-in cupboard, formal living room, amazing intricately carved limestone fireplace, unusual curved cast radiators for round tower rooms, & attention to detail throughout! Exterior features: period carriage porch, massive front porch, second floor balcony, fenced back yard, all sitting on a spacious 0.51 +/- acre lot. Red brick building details: originally built for the workers, two-story, 540 SF period wood stove, hardwood floors, upstairs living area, all in need of repair. Mechanicals: Electric heat pumps, gas furnace that heats a hot water radiator system, and central air.
GENERAL HISTORY: The Historical Bedford Landmark C.S. Norton Mansion. Known to many locals as the “Limestone Castle”, this Lawrence County home was built in 1897 by Mr. C.S. Norton with limestone from Blue Hole Quarry on Norton Lane. It is referred to as a “Royal Blue” a limestone dwelling; because of this light blue hue Mr. Norton enjoyed a large amount of success from his quarry. The home was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
NORTON FAMILY HISTORY: Fredrick and Clinton Norton were one of the early stone families of Bedford. The brothers came from Lockport, IL in 1878 and started working in stone quarries. They became recognized as authorities on stone land and were pioneers in the local stone industry. Many of the early stone companies were organized or supervised by Fredrick. Fredrick founded the Norton-Reed Quarry and mill and Clint worked for his brother. He was later identified with the Peerless Stone Co., and the Bedford-New York Stone Co. In 1927 he organized the Independent Stone Co. which operated a quarry on land in Monroe County. In the early years Clint had interests in the Bedford-New York Quarries Co as well as the Climax Stone Co and the Bedford Cut Stone Co. Clint purchased the Royal Blue Quarry at the southwest edge of Bedford from his brother Frederick. Clint operated that property independently for several years. That abandoned quarry is known locally today as “Stack Rock”. Clint built and lived in the large stone home on 15th Street with his wife and two children in the first part of the 1900s.
POSSESSION/CLOSING INFO: Possession at closing on all real estate.
UTILITY PROVIDERS: Electric – Duke Energy, Gas – Vectren, Water – Bedford City Utility
INSPECTION: Wed. Oct. 4 2-6 pm
INSPECTION #2: Mon. Oct. 16 2-4 pm
PERSONAL PROPERTY AUCTION: Tues. Oct. 17 bidding ends at 6 pm
LEGAL DESCRIPTION: SIMPSONS 2ND PT LOTS 2 & 3 EXC W 5 FT LOT 3 107 X 182.22 X 123
TAXES: $3,022/ per installment (based on current owner exemptions).
PARCEL ID: 47-06-14-342-061.000-010
DIRECTIONS: From Hwy 50 turn east on 16th St 1.7 miles, left on M Street, then left at 2nd cross street on 15th St to site on right.
OWNER: Estate of Mary R. Haverland
Terms and Conditions of Online Only Reserve Real Estate Auction
1. Conditions of Sale: This online only auction is selling subject to owner’s confirmation and is not contingent on or subject to financing, appraisal, survey, or inspections of any kind, as agreed to by bidders at registration prior to bidding and specified in the attached Agreement to Purchase Real Estate. Seller and Buyer(s) shall pay their share of the costs of closing. Buyer acknowledges they are buying property “as-is”, “where-is”, without inspections or contingencies. Buyer(s) will rely on his/her own judgment and inspection. By signing an offer, Buyer(s) will be waiving the 10-day lead based paint test.
2. Closing: A Buyer’s Premium of 10% is added to the high bid. Please take this into consideration when bidding. At the close of the auction, the successful Bidder will be emailed an Agreement to Purchase Contract to be executed and returned to Beckort Auctions, LLC within twenty-four (24) hours of the completion of the auction along with 10% deposit of the total contract price. The down payment may be made in the form of cash, cashier’s check, personal check, or corporate check. The entirety of the remaining balance is due at closing on or before Thirty (30) days from Auction Day. Purchaser will be responsible for all wire transfers. Per the Contract, time is of the essence; you should proceed to closing within Thirty (30) days. Possession shall be given to the successful Buyer(s) at closing, seller will provide deed preparation.
3. Liquidated Damages: Successful Bidders not executing and returning their Contract with Earnest Money deposit within Forty Eight (48) hours of the conclusion of the auction will be considered in default. If your closing is delayed for any reason, by you, as purchaser, or other parties working on your behalf, including any lender you involve, you may be declared in breach of this contract, forfeit all deposits made and could additionally be liable for any and all costs incurred by Seller and Beckort Auctions, LLC incurred in a subsequent resale of the property. If such action occurs, Beckort Auctions LLC hereby has the right to disperse the deposit as stated in the listing agreement and the buyer has no claims to such money or property being sold. Liquidated damages are to cover cost of auction, cost incurred by seller, labor cost and additional cost of auction as not defined in this agreement. These liquidated damages do not restrict the seller from suing the buyer for performance damages and/or any additional damages the seller suffers by the default of the buyer.
4. Back-Up Bids: If you are not the successful bidder on the real estate and wish to make a back-up bid in case of default by the high bidder, please see Brian Beckort to receive a Back-Up Bidder Form.
5. Other Conditions: There are no contingencies to this sale (i.e., financing, appraisal, repairs, or inspections). Therefore, you should be pre-qualified by a lender prior to bidding if you require financing.
Beckort Auctions, LLC reserves the right to remove or cancel the bids and or bidding rights and privileges of any party at any time deemed not to be in the best interest of the seller. The identity of all bidders
will be verified, bidding rights are provisional, and if complete verification is not possible, Beckort Auctions LLC will reject the registration, and bidding activity will be terminated.
All Beckort Auctions, LLC Online Only Real Estate Auctions are timed events that have an auto-extend feature. Any bid placed within 10 minutes of the auction ending will automatically extend the auction for 10 minutes from the time the bid is placed. Example: If an auction scheduled to end at 6:00 p.m. receives a bid at 5:59 p.m., the close time of the auction automatically extends to 6:10 p.m. The auto-extend feature remains active until no further bids are received within the 10 minute time frame.
6. Real Estate Brokerage Services Disclosure: Beckort Auctions LLC and their representatives are Exclusive Agents of the Seller(s). We do not represent the buyer(s) in any manner and we must be completely loyal and faithful to our client. Beckort Auctions LLC has an exclusive right to sell listing for this transaction. All negotiations must be conducted through Beckort Auctions LLC.
A two percent (2% variable) bid price commission, not to include any buyer’s premium if applicable, is available to properly registered Brokers/Agents. You must pre-register your Buyers with Beckort Auctions, LLC twenty-four (24) hours before the end of the auction by filling out and recording with Beckort Auctions a Broker Registration Form. Agents who fail to pre-register their Buyer will not be recognized as Buyer Agents and will not be entitled to a co-op commission. Broker/Agent cannot act as a Buyer and Broker/Agent on the same transaction. Please review the Broker Registration form for eligibility.
7. Beckort Auctions LLC Involvement in this Contract: The seller and buyer hereby agree that Beckort Auctions LLC is a part of this contract and shall receive compensation as stated in the agreement hereto or as stated in the listing agreement hereby made a part of.
8. Restrictions: Real Estate is sold subject to any and all existing matter of record, and all easements, building use or zoning laws and regulations. Taxes and assessments will be pro-rated to the closing date.
9. Additional Auction Information: All information published, announced or contained herein was derived from sources believed to be correct; however, it is not guaranteed by the seller or the auctioneers. Personal on-site inspection of all property is recommended. The failure of any bidder to inspect, or to be fully informed as to the condition of the property, will not constitute grounds for any claim or demand for adjustment or withdrawal of bid, offer or deposit money after its opening tender. This includes but is not limited to public information such as easements, restrictions, zoning, right-of-ways, or any other information that can be obtained as public record in the appropriate county court house concerning subject properties.
10. Technical Issues: In the event there are technical difficulties related to the server, software, internet or any other online auction-related technologies, Beckort Auctions, LLC reserves the right to extend bidding, continue the bidding or close the bidding. Neither the company providing the software, nor Beckort Auctions, LLC, shall be held responsible for the failure of the software to function properly for any reason.
From Hwy 50 turn east on 16th St 1.7 miles, turn left on M St then left at 2nd cross street on 15th St to site on right.